Thursday, August 18, 2005

Michiko Kakutani

I had a strange urge today to google Michiko Kakutani. For the uninitiated, she's the New York Times's influential and 'much-feared lead book reviewer' - according to this Salon.com article.

And she's also turned into a pop culture icon. I remember first hearing her name in an episode of Sex and the City - she was the one reviewing Carrie's book. Michiko just has one of those names that get stuck in your head... there's a certain fun rhytm and rhyme in hearing it. Mi-chi-ko Ka-ku-ta-ni...

Thus began my mild obsession with this woman (cue music from Psycho shower scene). I still have to find a list of her notorious (but entertaining) negative reviews. A fairly recent one is this review of the lastest Tom Wolfe in which she end with the following put-down:



You may never put down a Tom Wolfe novel. But you never reread one, either.

*********************************************************

Let see... what I found on the Google trawl:

1. The biggest catch has to be this hilarious piece from McSweeney's online. Here's a quick quote:
We'd use it [her name], I'm embarrassed to say, as a metaphor for onanism.
"What'd you do last night?"
"Had a big date with Michiko Kakutani."

2. She's reported to be 'famously reclusive', but the Pulitzer Prize website does provide a short bio and picture.


"Ms. Kakutani is single and lives in Manhattan." How Sex and the City! Her hair reminds me of early Carrie in season 1.







3. More than one commentator has weighed in on her use of the word 'limn'.

4. I'm not the only one obsessed with 'DEAR SWEET MISS MICHIKO K.' - see here.

5. And I also had a reunion with one of my favorite humour sites 'Suck.com'. Too bad it's now defunked. They quoted Michiko here.

No comments: