Saturday, September 17, 2005

Ma Maison

Woke up surprisingly early today and, for the first time in months, went down for the complimentary serviced apartment breakfast buffet. I guess nothing has changed much - it's still the same old feeble offering of:
  • Watermelon and Cantaloupe
  • Hard Boiled Eggs (you know when they are boiled so hard that the yolks turn kind blue-ish grey on the outside?)
  • Toast, cereal, juice

Oh and also the worse tasting coffee in the world. After I put in some milk, it had the consistency and color of post-Katrina mud. Eww!

**********************

After Skype-ing for a bit with W (he got some 'fear of driving on freeways' issues now), I was peckish again and decided to head out for shopping and lunch at Bugis Junction. The Kinokuniya branch there had a 20% off promotion there, so how could I resist!

Bought a book I had my eye on for some time - iCon Steve Jobs : The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business. And of course my weekend read, the weekend edition of the Financial Times.

Then it was time for a late lunch. Where to go, where to go? Then I saw the sign (below) and remember - why not Ma Maison?

I've always have a soft spot for their style of food... I guess it's Japanese style western food. If you like Sonie's in Bangkok, you'll love this place. Was feeling pretty hungry, so I quickly decided to go for their special - spaghetti with chili fish eggs:


Highly recommended this one - the fish eggs give the pasta a nice creamy sauce and is accomponied by tiny little shrimps. The little kick of chili kept the dish from being too bland and heavy.

I like their 'Pasta Tossing' utensil (see above), although it took me a while to figure out what it was. Below is the close-up... can you see the little fish eggs?

The decor of the place has a kitschy cozy feeling with lots of dark wood and random memorabilia. And since the place is called 'Ma Maison', they do give you a 'key' to their house so to speak (you take it up to the counter to pay for your meal - see the table number?). Cute.


No comments: