Sunday, June 12, 2005

Some Other Time - First Post

Well, finally started a blog about a zillion internet years after it's the 'in' thing. I think the hardest part was choosing the blog title, then it came to me browsing through some CDs... I picked up a Bill Evans album.

Some Other Time.

It wasn't the lyrics or the context of the song (more on this below), just the title kinda captures my mood now (not that I especially like myself for this). Apply for grad school? Some Other Time. Be a good boss and reply to that pesky, older-than-his-team-lead former team member's email 'Re: Give Me Some Non-bullsh*t carreer advice? Some Other Time.


The list goes on but I don't want to bore you guys.

Okay, got that confession out of the way. But I have to tell u that I really like the song... always reminds me of missed encounters, empty smokey bars late at night, aching loneliness, hopeless romantics. The lyrics are a lot like what i feel after flying back to Singpore from home:


Where has the time all gone to?
Haven't done half the things we want to.
Oh, well, we'll catch up
Some other time

This day was just a token,
Too many words are still unspoken.
Oh, well, we'll catch up
Some other time.

When Tony Benett sings 'Oh, well' it's with this sad resignation.... hurr

At least tonight I got some new trivia about the song though: when Googling the the lyrics just learned that the song, like a lot of jazz standards, was taken from a musical. This one is On the Town with music by Leonard Bernstein. It's about Two sailors finding romance on 24-hour leave in New York City and (new info again); later to be made into a film starring Frank Sinatra.


Anyways I gotta sign-off now, but 'Some Other Time' I'll tell you guys more about some things I like:

Bill Evans, jazz pianist
New eats in Singapore
my successful reproductions of celebrity cookbook recipes
Anarres


and probably quite a few things I hate too. Oh and more about shy old me.

No comments: