Monday, July 11, 2005

Boon Tong Kee - Deluxe ข้าวมันไก่


Had a fairly lazy Monday at the office. I think I'm setting a very low goal about what task to finish before taking vacation later this week.

Anyways I was taking bus 65 home, when I looked up from my book to see an old favorite - this little chicken rice place called Boon Tong Kee on River Valley Road.

So before you know it, I'm jaywalking across the street to have a little supper. First thing I notice is that well... this place now has got table cloths - black and purple (สีบานชื่น).
And no more bowl and chopsticks to eat out of - now the rice comes on plates in little pyramids (the pic is courtesy of Mr. Miyagi - somewhat of a celeb in the Singapore blogosphere. He captures the new dining experience at Boon Tong Kee perfectly in this post).

Thank goodness that the food is stil good like I remembered it. Chicken here is always tender and moist and they the rice has a little kick of ginger.

What I also love the kai-lan with oyster sauce - just quickly cooked so that it's still has crunchy stalks but no hint of unpleasant 'greenness'. A nice meal although on the expensive side (12 SGD = almost 300 baht for one). But well, this is 'upscale' chicken rice :-)

No comments: