Saturday, July 09, 2005

How to make a bad sandwich; Breakfast Top 4

With my legs still madly aching from the jog I took yesterday (more on that later)... I decided not to travel to far for my lunch - hmm... the corner coffee place looks good for a cappucino and a sandwich.

The 'chicken-mustard' sandwich caught my eye. I imagine a piece of tender chicken breast with crisp hot mustard encased in what Philippa Davenport would call 'bread of good character'. But alas, dear friends, I got this:



How to make a bad sandwich:
  1. Take the chicken breast and microwave until dry. Absolutely no flavouring should be added - in additon to having that dry and stringry texture, the chicken should be also tasteless.
  2. Flake the dried out chicken and combine with a bland, fatty mayonnaise. Put in some whole grain mustard for decoration, but make sure the unique taste of the mustard is completely over powered by the mayo.
  3. Take some dried bread (perferably of 'bad character') and toast until all moisture has been evaporated. It should be dried enough that, when bitten, tiny crumbs should vaporize, causing you to have coughing fits and minor throat irritation. (If to be served in restuarant, make sure the waiter ignores the customer flagging him down for a glass of water.)
  4. Spread the chicken mixture on bread, making sure to put lots of mayo to 'flavour' the chicken. Add anonymous salad leaf and serve.

*************

Even though breakfast is one of my favorite meals, I rarely have a chance to partake of it on weekdays. When I'm in Singapore, one of my favorite things to do is to have a lazy Sunday lunch with a pile of newspapers. Some of my favorite places:

1. River Cafe

An Aussie-style cafe, very laid back with good simple chic food best eaten on the veranda overlooking the Singapore River. I had the ricotta hotcakes with banana and honey comb last time... so good.

It's in the same building as the Tyler Print Institute, which puts on some very cool exhibitions. I've always like prints and textiles.. there's just this right mixture of having that practical craftsmanship and artistic inspiration.

2. Nosh Cafe - Three words: All day breakfast!


3. Whitebait and Kale

Tucked away in a posh private hospital is probably the my favorite of the bunch. The homely off-white/brownish/bluish interior is very inviting with and open kitchen - reminds me of a nice beach side place somewhere in Australia.

The menu looked so inviting I think I had way too much to eat. Started with a healthy virgin mary then a not so healthy helping of eggs florentine (poached eggs on a bed of toast and spinach) and this yummy chocolate waffle.. *drool*

A nice latte ended the meal... hehe.

4. Marmalade Pantry

This cool earth-toned bistro is located in the basement of the Singapore equivalent of snooty Gaysorn Plaza. Their Sunday brunch is a place to be seen drinking your lychee bellini. Or some other drinks for their nice bar:




Lovely food here as well, although the presentation can get irritatingly complex. Their chicken pot pie, if I can remember, was a tall tower shape thingy that needed to attacked with a knife rather than just simply eaten.

No comments: